Published on: 03/10/2017
Following the annual joint sector review meeting, the Ministry of Water and Environment has adopted undertakings to guide sector activities in financial year 2018/19
The three day 9th Government of Uganda and Development Partners Joint Review of the Water and Environment Sector (JSR) ended on 28th September 2017 with the development of 13 undertakings. Undertakings are at the centre of change processes that are initiated at the JSR and focus on areas of work that are considered to address the challenges and emerging issues. They are not streamlined into routine working procedures but trigger innovation through the specific and well defined activities implementable within one or two financial years.
The agreed understandings for FY 2018/19 therefore include:
|1. Directorate of Water Development (DWD)||(a). Water for Production||Establish data management systems for water production facilities to enhance utilization and sustainability|
|(b). Urban Water Supply and Sewerage||Demonstrate performance improvement in water schemes directly managed by umbrella organizations|
|(c). Rural Water Supply and Sanitation|
1. Finalize and implement the one source per Village/cell strategy by end of FY 2018/19
2. Reinstate a budget line for software activities under the district water and sanitation conditional grant by end of FY 2018/19
|(d). DWD Cross-cutting issues|
1. Set up a project preparation and financing taskforce and ensure dedicated financing under each of the departments under DWD
2. Develop water and sanitation planning, Implementation and Operations and Maintenance framework for refugees and host communities.
|2. Directorate of Water Resources Management (DWRM)||All departments|
1. Integrate climate change adaptation and source protection measures in water and environment sector work plan and budget for implementation in the financial year 2018/2019
2. Operationalize the proposed coordination, implementation and funding mechanism for catchment based IWRM in at least eight catchments in the four zones by end of 2017/18
3. Finalize and pilot the national framework for drinking water quality management and regulation in the four WMZ by end of financial year 2017/2018
|3. Environment Affairs (DEA)||All departments|
1. Finalize the accreditation requirements for the Ministry of Water and Environment as the National Implementing Entity (NIE) for access to financing from the Adaptation Fund (AF) and the Green Climate Fund (GCF).
2. Continue with the implementation of the ongoing undertaking to address the drivers of environmental degradation by mainstreaming ENR considerations across government sectors by focusing mainstreaming actions on the high profile/high impact sectors of agriculture, infrastructure, lands, energy and water in order to achieve reduced contributions to degradation by these sectors by the end of FY 2017/18.
|All Directorates||Sector Performance Monitoring||Commence implementation of new Sector Performance Measurement Framework in the Water and Sanitation Sub-sector by both DWD and DWRM|
|Commence implementation of new Sector Performance Measurement Framework in the Environment and Natural Resources Sub-sector by DEA|