Published on: 29/08/2023
The Finance in Common (FICS) Summit 2023 in Cartagena, Colombia, 4-6 September 2023 is the first global summit bringing Public Development Banks (PDBs) together.
During this exciting event the Water Finance Coalition hosts a workshop to share its latest research on coaching National Development Banks (NDBs), highlighting the positive impact that Public Development Banks have in advancing water and sanitation initiatives. The workshop will allow Public Development Banks and the Water Finance Coalition as a whole to share their commitments, leading to increased water sector financing.
Where: Gran Salón Barahona, Cartagena de Indias Convention Center, Cartagena, Colombia
When: Wednesday 6 September, 11:30am – 01:00pm
- To highlight the multidimensional importance of the water and sanitation sector and the urgent need to address the existing financing gap, emphasizing the overlooked role of National Development Banks (NDBs).
- To provide a platform for banks and Coalition members to collaborate and articulate their commitments towards increased financing for the water and sanitation sector.
- To deliver actionable recommendations to banks and governments for enhancing the involvement of PDBs and NDBs in driving progress and investment in the water and sanitation sector.
The sessions will include, but are not limited to, the below contributors. More contributors will be announced asap.
- H.E. Laura Chinchilla, Former President of Costa Rica and Member of the Sanitation and Water for All Leadership Council
- Susana Rojas, Regional Coordinator, Latin America and the Caribbean, Sanitation and Water for All
- Xavier Leflaive, Water Team Lead in the Climate, Biodiversity and Water Division, Environment Directorate, OECD
- José Lara Lona, President, President of the Board of Directors of the National Association of Water and Sanitation Entities of Mexico (ANEAS)
- Stef Smits, Co-director Business Development, IRC
- Carlos Puente, Director for Water, Energy and Environment, BANOBRAS, Mexico
- José Alejandro Herrera Lozano, Deputy General Director of Investments Monitoring and Evaluation, National Planning Department, Colombia
- Ángel Cárdenas, Manager Urban Development, Water and Creative Economies, CAF, Development Bank of Latin America
- Mariana Prado Noya, Executive Vice President FONPLATA
- Darwin Trisna Djajawinata, Operation and Finance Director, PT Sarana Multi Infrastruktur (PT SMI), Indonesia
- Anderson Possa, Business Director, Banco de Nordeste do Brasil (BNB)
- Franz Rojas, Head of the Water and Sanitation Analysis Division, CAF, Development Bank of Latin America; Water Finance Coalition Chair
About the water finance coalition
The Water Finance Coalition (WFC) is a Coalition that brings international and domestic public development banks and global financial institutions together. Its primary objective is to bridge the funding gap for water and sanitation services. The coalition has over 60 member institutions and continues to grow.
The idea for the Water Finance Coalition was introduced during the 2020 Finance in Common Summit. This initiative was a collaborative effort among key entities such as Agence Française de Développement (AFD), Development Bank of Latin America (CAF), European Investment Bank (EIB), World Bank, and Sanitation and Water for All (SWA). The coalition's secretariat is managed by IRC.
Since its launch, the Water Finance Coalition has been meeting quarterly. It engages in joint studies and participates in public events related to water and sanitation financing.